BSF Research Grants: Submission
- Area of Research
Research Authorities Approvals3
BSF Compliance Check4
- The PIs must have obtained a PhD, an MD, or an equivalent degree.
- The PIs must be faculty members or equivalent.
- BSF only funds scientists from institutions of higher learning, government research institutions, hospitals and other non-profit research organizations.
- Applications by for-profit organizations are not allowed, but a scientist who is affiliated with such an organization may be an applicant on a BSF proposal, if his organization is committed to funding his part in the research.
- Each PI may only submit one application per year to the BSF Research Grants program.
- An investigator can only hold one BSF research grant at any given time, and may submit a new application only in the last year of his award. However, he can hold concurrently a different type of a BSF award, such as an NSF-BSF grant.
Cooperative research is a fundamental requirement for the BSF and is viewed by the Foundation as active collaboration between Israeli and U.S. scientists.
Cooperation should involve joint planning of research, data gathering and evaluation of results, and may take the form of:
- Joint research activities, where interdependent projects of a single program are conducted in different laboratories
- Provision of research facilities, materials, equipment, and/or services to cooperating scientists
- Exchange of personnel.
Prior cooperation between the PIs is not a prerequisite, and the establishment of new research teams is welcomed by the BSF.
- Maximum grant request for a BSF research grant is $250,000 over four years. A shorter period will not necessarily increase the size of the annual allocation.
- Support can be made to either the Israeli or U.S. PI, or to both. The distribution of support must reflect the division of research tasks. Generally, the BSF respects the distribution requested by the PIs.
- Size of the grant is determined by factors such as research period, nature of the research (theoretical or experimental), and the number of PIs receiving support. Maximum grant will be given to an experimental project, in which the U.S. and Israeli scientists split the funding evenly.
- BSF allows only 15% overhead to all grantee institutions.
- BSF does not allow any salary payment to a PI, including summer salary
- Proposals to the BSF Research Grants program should be submitted via the BSF online system, usually in mid-November each year.
- Proposals not meeting BSF regulatory requirements will not be accepted.
- No changes to the proposal will be accepted after the deadline.
- A PI requesting financial support must have the approval of his/her institution’s Research Authority. (all done online)
- No hard copy of the application is required.